Beans , part of the legume family, are an ancient food that has been cultivated all over the earth for thousands of years. This versatile nutritional powerhouse is often relegated to the back of the pantry, as many consider beans the “poor man’s meat”.
The general thought among people has been that bean s are not necessary anymore, as they are getting their daily protein requirements from animal products.
What these people did not know is that there are many chronic ailments associated with high consumption of meat, including heart disease, some types of cancer, and diabetes.
The reason for this is that meat, especially red meat, though high in protein is also high in saturated fat. Saturated fat has been linked to higher cholesterol, including raised levels of LDLs (the bad cholesterol).
Bean s provide a great alternative to meat, as they are a low-fat source of protein.
For example, one cup of lentils provides 17 grams of protein with only 0.75 grams of fat. In fact, the American Cancer Society recommended in their 1996 dietary guidelines that Americans should “choose beans as an alternative to meat.”
Include Bean s in Daily Diet to Reduce Abdominal FAT. It helps your body in keeping the intake of saturated fats at a healthy level. Beans help to flatten your belly not only due to its various other healthy compounds including soluble as well as insoluble fiber.
Due to their low glycemic index, get digested at a slower pace keeping you fuller for a longer time, thus saving you from hunger pangs too.
Bean s are good for diabetics and heart disease too.
So, what types of beans and how much of them will help you lose abdominal fat? Check it out!
All or any type of beans can help you in fighting off obesity, particularly belly fat.
1. White bean
2. Pink bean
3. Red kidney bean
4. Black bean
5. Pinto bean
7. Garbanzo bean aka chickpeas
How much beans to have daily?
Not more than one cup of beans every day. Rinse them thoroughly before using.
If you soak beans, wash them thoroughly before soaking and try not to discard the water when cooking beans.
If you are using canned beans then also wash them properly to keep off the gas producing sugars.
What are the ways to have beans?
You can have them in any manner- as salad, dips, side dish, baked into muffins, or as main dish!
1. Replace your breakfast toasts with beans and have them with eggs.
2. Make salsa by mixing black beans with tomatoes, corn kernels, pepper, lime juice, olive oil, your choice of herbs and seasoning’s!
3. Prepare hummus (type of sauce) which is a spread made with chickpeas as main
ingredient. Use it as a party dip or sandwich spread.
4. Bake your muffins, breads, cakes etc. using beans flour.
5. You may also use black bean flour as a thickening agent for sauces.
6. Replace mashed potatoes with mashed bean dish.
7. Use a bed of herbs flavored white beans when serving grilled chicken and fish.
8. Have simple bean soups, stews.
9. Innovate your own way to have beans daily.
Courtesy: Nutri Kalp